Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lessons learned from Gordon Ramsey: Family

LESSONS FROM RAMSEY: LESSON 1 Family




Recently, Tim Roche, a manager who I work for,  loaned me an autobiography of the world famous Chef Gordon Ramsey. A man, personally, until now, I had little respect for as a Chef. I find his shows over the top, rude, drama queen, and I don't like his in your face attitude. Things can be accomplished in the same manner through better means than yelling and cursing. Every kitchen I've been in where I had a boss who yelled and cursed, I have 0 respect for. Chef Ramsey isn't any different. 

Having read only the first chapter of his book so far, I have realized there are some lessons to be learned from this asshole of a Chef. And appreciating the family I have is lesson 1. Ramsey begins his book talking about the long abusive relationship he had with his dad. A man hell bent on ruining everyone's life, including Gordon's, it is truly sad what this Chef had to put up with growing up in life. It makes me sad to think that there are humans in the world as evil as his dad was to Gordon's family. 

My family isn't/wasn't perfect growing up. We did move around, 5 different times before my dad, Paul Glenn, died. However, there wasn't anything compared in my life to the level of abuse and hate in Gordon's family in mine. I was raised in family that cared for my well being, who wanted me to succeed and wanted only for me to do my best. The same certainly not true with Gordon. 

I would never dare to ever compare myself to Nephi of old, but I do love this scripture and in part it says some things about the way I feel about my own family:


I, NEPHI, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.


In summation, the first lesson to be learned from Ramsey: Family is important. Be good to your family, love them, help them, and try to be a good person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment